13 questions with Halloween guest editor Patrick Ta
1. What is your favorite Halloween moment in pop culture?
There are so many iconic pop culture looks for Halloween, but I loved working with them Gigi for her costume “The Mask”. It’s the perfect combination of glam and Halloween costume.
2. What was your favorite Halloween costume from your childhood?
I never really dressed for Halloween growing up. As I get older I love Halloween and usually have multiple costumes each year. It’s so much fun helping others with their costumes and seeing what other people are up to. All of my friends are so creative!
3. Are you dressing up for Halloween this year? If so, can you share what you are going to do?
Yes! I actually have three costumes for this year, and I’m so excited. I’m going to be a Power Ranger (Red), Boxer, and Aquaman this year. My friends and I all stone our own costumes. It took a lot of effort but it’s so rewarding in the end.
4. What is your favorite Halloween candy?
By far my favorite Halloween candy is by Reese – they are so good.
5. Where do you stand in the sweet corn debate: great or disgusting?
I’m definitely not into sweet corn, I prefer chocolate!
6. Do you have any other favorite moments from the spooky season? Decorate, watch horror movies, etc.?
Yes, I love fall for so many reasons. I think pumpkin carving parties are so much fun and an easy night out with friends. Anyone can put their own creative touch on their pumpkin and it’s a great time to spend with your friends and loved ones without crazy distractions.
I also like to organize movie nights, especially in the fall. When the weather starts to get cold, there is nothing better than getting your friends together. The bonus is a pumpkin carving party, then a movie night.
7. Do you prefer “spooky” or “pretty” glam / Halloween costumes?
I’m definitely more into pretty Halloween glam, which is my favorite thing to do, but I think the ultimate Halloween costume has both “spooky” and “pretty” elements. By just adding fake blood or scar to a glamorous look, it takes it up a notch and is so easy to do.
8. Where does your Halloween makeup inspiration for famous clients come from? Is it a collaboration between the two of you or does the celebrity come to you with a costume idea and you come up with the beauty look?
My clients usually come to me with their costume or idea, and then I execute their vision of the glam elements. I always chat with them first and make sure we are on the same page and that is exactly what they expect.
9. Do you have any tips / recommendations for someone who really wants to go all out / make a statement for their Halloween beauty look?
Preparation is the key! Always have an idea of what you want to do and have the right tools and products to execute the look. Make sure your skin is prepped before the event so that the products you apply blend seamlessly into the skin. I don’t think Halloween glam has to be inherently tricky or hard to master. It’s about taking the vision you’re looking for and tailoring it to your skill level and style.
10. If you are wearing a scary costume, what are the tips for a beauty look that goes with it but remains super glamorous / flattering / trendy?
I want to make a look feel cohesive and that shows through my looks. I recommend staying with the same undertones as the costume itself to make it look intentional. Also, taking your time is so important and if you make a mistake it’s okay, go back and fix it to be exactly what you want it to look like.
11. Do you have any recommendations for trendy Halloween costumes that would lend themselves to cute beauty looks that are easy to do at home?
Any look of the decade is so easy to recreate with makeup, whether you go for a ’60s mod, 7’0 disco,’ 80s glam, or an angsty ’90s look. The trend of the early 2000s is so easy to do with makeup! Apply glossy shadow, dark lip liner, and heavy liner to your brows and you’re good to go.
12. Must-have products, colors or techniques that you love for Halloween?
Preparing the skin for any Halloween look is imperative. Hot glam looks are traditionally my favorite, but I like a dark red lip like my Major Headlines Matte Suede Lipstick in She must be new for a daring Halloween look.
My new Major Headlines Limited Edition Blush Palette is also going to be a staple for me during Halloween and the next holiday season – I can’t wait to use it for every look, it’s so versatile.
13. What are some quick makeup tips for those who decided to celebrate Halloween at the last minute?
I’m usually someone who comes up with all of my Halloween costumes at the last minute and always rely on makeup to bring the costume to life. Something so easy but a lot of people forget is the pre-made special FX makeup. You can run and take some fake blood, false wounds and false scars to really help execute your vision.
One thing that I feel people forget is the body shine for the costumes! If you’re showing off your skin this Halloween, I always recommend using a body oil like Major Radiance Body Oil or the Major Radiance Balm to help you shine all night long