Fright Night gets new special features, 4K SteelBook in October
scary night is one of the most classic horror films of the 80s. Now the film is finally getting a 4K Ultra HD release with a Sony SteelBook this October 4, 2022. This isn’t your normal studio release either, this one has brand new bonus content in addition to the legacy content that is being carried over. Here is the list of upcoming special features.
4K ULTRA HD DISC
- Feature scanned from original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
- All new original Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + Dolby Stereo sound
BLU-RAY™ FEATURE DISC
- Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
- 5.1 + original Dolby stereo
- Special Features:
- NEW: Deleted Scene Scenarios – Tom Holland walks us through the film’s only deleted scene, using his personal pre-production storyboards
- NEW: Holland/Beyda Spec Trailer with an introduction by Tom Holland – the never-before-seen alternate trailer cut by scary night editor Kent Beyda with guidance and narration by Tom Holland
- Audio commentary with writer/director Tom Holland, actors Chris Sarandon and Jonathan Stark, moderated by filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- Audio commentary with writer/director Tom Holland, actors William Ragsdale and Stephen Geoffreys, FX artist Randall Cook, moderated by journalist Jeremy Smith and filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- You are so cool, Brewster! The story of scary night
- What is scary night
- Tom Holland: Writing Horror
- Theatrical trailers
BLU-RAY™ SPECIAL FEATURES DISC
- Special Features:
- NEW: scary night 35th Anniversary Script Reading – an anniversary cast reunion and script reading featuring writer/director Tom Holland and special guests such as Rosario Dawson, Jason Patric and many more!
- NEW: The Queer Lens: Bryan Fuller in conversation with Amanda Bearse – a frank discussion between scary night aficionado Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Queer for Fear: The Queer Horror Story) and scary night star Amanda Bearse on the queer roots of goth, the film’s queer subtext and its metaphorical power
- NEW: A New Approach: The Splatterpunk History of scary night Novelization – Tom Holland, scary night novelization writers John Skipp and Craig Spector, and editor Mark Alan Miller discuss how the ancestors of the splatterpunk genre came to work on the book, their writing process, and the novel’s lasting legacy
- NEW: SFX Storyboard Comparisons – a selection of original storyboards from key effects sequences, compared to their final filmed versions
- Roddy McDowall: From Monkeys to Bats
- Tom Holland and Amanda Bearse talk scary night
- Panel discussion with Tom, Stephen and William
- Shock Till You Drop presents Choice Cuts with Tom Holland and Ryan Turek
- First ever Fright Night reunion panel – Fear Fest 2 (2008)
- Weekend of Hell Panel with Amanda and Stephen
- Vintage EPK with raw behind the scenes footage
scary night comes from the director Tom Hollandand stars Chris Sarandon, William Ragsdale, Roddy McDowall, Amanda Bearse, and Stephen Geoffreys. It was originally released in 1985. The story of the film follows Charlie (Ragsdale), who has a vampire, Jerry Dandridge (Sarandon) who moves in next to him and causes all sorts of trouble. He goes to a horror host, Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall) to help him fight the demon, but Vincent isn’t all he seems on TV.
This build looks absolutely awesome, so hopefully we can all grab the SteelBook when it’s released on October 4th. Now we just need a Blu-ray version of Spooky Night: Part 2 to go with.
For more on the 4K or Blu-ray releases, be sure to come back to That Hashtag Show.